Activities in support of artists are the chief purpose of the L’animal a l’esquena project. We continue to help artists through residencies, involving them in the project and its contents, on the understanding that L’animal a l’esquena is an independent project handling both public funds and its own, and with a need to safeguard spaces for research and reflection.
TYPES OF RESIDENCIES
The aim is to provide support for the beginning or end of a work process leading to the production of a performance piece. The project may already have production backing or be in the process of negotiating it.
The aim is to encourage dialogue between artists to develop a creation and research project.
Writing and Reflection Residency
The aim is to offer a situation conducive to concentration in a space in the farmhouse where it is possible to work in silence.
The aim is to carry out research projects in the natural environment: proposals for installations, sculptures, and audio-visual or scientific work.
Programme of Guest Residencies/Associate Project
This gives ongoing support to a group of artists who, in some cases, have settled in the area, offering them space to work for periods throughout the year and keeping them company artistically. This model is not open to entries.
During the year L’animal plans residencies by associate artists, with projects linked to L’animal and by artists selected in the call for entries.
L’animal a l’esquena is located on the Mas Espolla estate (Heritage Site of Local Interest), in the municipality of Celrà (Gerona), at the foot of the Les Gavarres mountain range (official Area of Natural Interest). The estate is made up of the main farmhouse, which dates from the 16th Century, a studio-hall designed from scratch, measuring 22 x 14 metres, a construction workshop and an annexe containing administration offices, all surrounded by 19 hectares of woods, vineyards, olive groves and cultivated fields.
The refurbishment of some parts of the main farmhouse means that it has been possible in recent years to use them for seminars, dialogues with the public, writing and reflection workshops and public performances of pieces created specifically for these spaces. One of its rooms also houses the archive. The farmhouse now offers two new spaces: a 25 square metre hall with a wooden floor and a workspace for use as a base by an associate artist.
The village of Celrà offers many social and cultural amenities: a library, a clinic, La Fabrica arts centre, a municipal dance school, a municipal swimming pool, the Ateneu and the train station, on the Barcelona-Gerona-Figueras line.
Given its location, L’animal a l’esquena offers a choice of places to work: either in the studio-hall, the writing and reflection study or the fields and woods around. The spaces in the farmhouse are also available: kitchen, living room, bedrooms, stables and porch.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Individual or collective projects. The call for entries is aimed at people working in different languages in different fields of creation and knowledge: dance, performance, visual arts, theatre, literature, philosophy, music, architecture, biology, agriculture and other media, taking the body as the focus of their research.
PERIOD OF RESIDENCIES
In 2017 the period available for residencies selected from the call for entries will be from June to December.
- Use of the space for one or two weeks.
- A house in the village of Celrà with a capacity of a maximum of six people sharing rooms, or four people in individual rooms.
- Support for the residency, with two sessions of technical assistance provided by Punt de Fuga, an associate company of L’animal a l’esquena, at the beginning and end of the stay.
- All residencies, like the workshops for professionals, offer an open doors day and a conversation afterwards with those who attend.
- The team at L’animal will document the residency. This includes an interview with the artists in residence during their stay and a recording of the open doors session and discussion afterwards.
- L’animal will prepare a programme to hand out to the public attending the open doors session, using information provided by the artist. This will be updated with any changes requested by the resident. This programme will serve as a record of the event and be given to the resident in digital form.
- L’animal asks for a weekly financial contribution of €250 for the use of the hall-studio, €150 for the use of the small studio, towards the continued viability of the project.
- A representative of L’animal a l’esquena and of the resident team will sign a protocol for collaboration. You can download this online.
Residencies at L’animal are not intended as technical residencies at the end of a creation process when technical facilities and electric power we do not have may be required. You can download the technical spec for what we can currently offer.
To take part in L’animal a l’esquena’s call for entries 2017 you can register online. The form will appear on the Residencies section of our website between 10th November and 23rd December 2016.
You will need to fill in the form online, attach a description of your project (maximum 5 pages), a CV and photographs relevant to the project. You should also mention various convenient times for your residency, in order of priority. These should be slots of one or two weeks. You can write in Catalan, Spanish, English or French.
On the 30th January, 2017 we shall announce which projects have been selected.
Many thanks for your proposals.
The team at L’animal a l’esquena.
Collaboration Agreement Model
Inscription WEB form